Direct mail is one of the most cost efficient and effective marketing tools businesses can use to reach their customers. For a small investment, direct mail reaches a large number of people, gets information directly into the hands of its audience, builds brand awareness and incites people to take action. Direct mail can offer incentives and discounts, educate the public, and can also promote other marketing incentives and tools at the same time (think website, social media badges, special online only offers, etc).
Two of our recent campaigns yielded typical results, though “typical” in both instances made these companies’ investments worth every penny.
Pool Doc sent out 1,200 postcards to a targeted audience. His investment yielded over 20 new clients (and counting!), most with annual service contracts. Total ROI was 150% in the first month for a phenomenal projected total of 2900% (yes, you read that right) for the year.
Green Collar Operations also had great success! With 5,000 mailers sent, they have already closed one deal and have booked 30 more estimates. They have a proven track record of closing 40% of the estimates they place and they project a 1000% return on their investment. No kidding. Go Green Collar!
A successful direct mail marketing campaign can depend on a number of factors, though the two primary components are (1) determine who you want to reach; and (2) develop your messaging to effectively grab your audience’s attention. Full Moon Design Group can help you access quality database resources and demographics, so that you can target the prospects at whom you are aiming both effectively and precisely, and create a strategic message that resonates with your audience and calls on them to act.
The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages but you should be aware of them all before making your decision. So what are the Pros and Cons of direct mail?
Pros of Direct Mail:
1. It is one of the easiest forms of marketing out there. Direct mail marketing has been used for a long time. The process is in place. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel, but you do have to know who your target audience is.
2. You can target a large audience or a very specific demographic. You are behind the wheel and can control who receives your message and who doesn’t. FMDG can help you develop a quality mailing list.
3. You have full flexibility of your messaging. You can tailor your messages to specific groups or keep it consistent across all audiences.
4. Each direct mail marketing campaign is measurable. Direct mail makes sending measurable discount codes easy. You can track the success each time you send it out. You can send out different codes for specific groups and can measure the success according to those different target audiences to see which ones respond to each messages.
5. You can test a promotion on a small scale before committing a huge budget.
6. You can strengthen your brand and your message with each mail distribution.
7. Direct mail is delivered directly to the person. You know that they receive it and you know that at least the brand recognition factor is strengthened, even if it goes right in the trash.
8. You can put as little or as much information in your mailer as you want. Whether it is a simple postcard or a full envelope with company information, coupons, etc. You tailor the mailer to fit your needs.
Cons of Direct Mail:
1. Direct mail is often considered to be junk mail. Seldom does a one-shot mailing have the desired result. You must have a long term, well thought out marketing plan.
2. Direct mail is still popular, so you have compete for attention. FMDG can develop the right image for your mailer to get noticed.
3. There is a high cost per contact, but the return is higher.
4. You have to maintain an accurate mailing list or purchase a high quality list from a valued source. While this is true, it is also part of your initial investment.
5. Green factor. More paper means less trees. FMDG encourages the use of and offers recycled paper and earth friendly inks.
6. Direct mail is snail mail spam, but it is not seen in as negative a light. Though competition for attention is still high, you don’t have to fight through 10+ per day (if you are lucky!) advertisements on male enhancement drugs, rich dignitaries trying to get money out of some unheard of 3rd world country, or the multitudes of other unwarranted emails.
Marketing professionals like Full Moon Design Group know how to increase visibility and the likelihood that your message will be seen and heard. They are knowledgeable on ways to decrease the risks and environment impact. They can develop the right implementation plan for your business so that your message gets to the right people at the right time.
They will coordinate your mailing with other advertising methods to significantly increase your return and will help you track your campaigns so you can see the ROI of every dollar you spend.
For assistance with your marketing strategy and direct mail campaign, visit www.fullmoondesigngroup.com or call 512.428-9072.